- You must already be able read your ebooks, either on your computer or on your ebook reader. (Kindle, nook, etc.) If you cannot read your ebooks on your computer or on your ebook reader, you won’t be able to remove the DRM. Contact your ebook retailer and sort out any problems reading your ebooks before trying to remove the DRM.
- Download and install the latest Calibre for your Operating System.
- Download the latest combined tools package, and unzip it. (On Windows, right-click and “Extract All…”)
- Run calibre. Click Preferences. Do NOT click “Get plugins to enhance calibre”, that option is reserved for “official” calibre plugins. Instead select “Change calibre behavior” Then under Advanced click on Plugins. (looks like a puzzle piece)
- Click on the large “Load plugin from File” button
- Navigate to the tools folder unzipped in step 2
- Open the “Calibre_Plugins” folder
- Select one of the zip files in that folder
- Click on Add (or the button may say “Open”)
- Click on the “Yes” button in the warning dialog that appears. A Confirmation dialog appears that the plug-in has been installed.
- Repeat steps 4 to 9 for every zip file in the Calibre_Plugins folder (five at present).
- You must now configure the plugins. Which plugins need configuring, and the information you need to enter depends on what kind of ebooks you have. If your ebooks don’t match the description at the start of any of the following items, ignore it and move on to the next.
- To configure a plugin, you must find it in the list of plugins. All the DRM removal plugins are in the “File Type plugins” section of the Plugins section of the calibre prefereces. Click on the plugin in the list to select it, and then click on the Customize plugin button. In the dialog that then pops up, enter the required information, detailed below.
- If you have Mobipocket ebooks, where you either entered a PID on the retailer’s web site, or you must read them in Mobipocket Reader, you must enter the PID you entered on the retailer’s web site, or the PID of your installation of Mobipocket Reader into the customisation field of the K4MobiDeDRM plugin. The PID will be ten numbers and letters, with * or $ as the eighth character. If you have more than one PID, enter them separated by commas,
- If you have Amazon Kindle ebooks that were downloaded to your Kindle, you must enter your Kindle’s serial number into the customisation field of the K4MobiDeDRM plugin. If you have already entered a PID there, add the Kindle serial number as well, separating it from the PID with a comma. Please note: all PIDs and Kindle Serial Numbers are case-sensitive.
- If you have Amazon Kindle ebooks that were downloaded to the copy of Kindle for Mac or Kindle for PC that was installed on this computer, you do not need to add anything extra into the customisation fields.
- If you have ePub ebooks that can be read in Adobe Digital Editions, you do not need to add anything extra into the customisation fields.
- If you have PDF ebooks that can be read in Adobe Digital Editions, you do not need to add anything extra into the customisation fields.
- If you have ePub ebooks from Barnes and Noble (e.g. for nook), you must enter your name and full credit card number into the customisation field of the Ignoble Epub DeDRM plugin. The name and credit card number should be the ones set as part of the Credit Card unlock code on your Nook Library page. Separate the name from the number with a comma and do not put any spaces in the card number or around the comma.
- If you have eReader ebooks from Barnes and Noble, or from, say, Fictionwise, your must enter your name and the last 8 digits of your credit card number into the customisation field of the eReader PDB 2 PML plugin. Again, the name and credit card number must be the ones entered at your ebook retailer’s website as the DRM key/Unlock code.
- If you have ebooks bought at the Apple iBooks store, it is not currently possible to remove the DRM.
i. If you have Microsoft LIT ebooks, there is no Calibre plugin that can remove the DRM.
- Now click on the Apply button, and then close the preferences.
You’re now ready to remove the DRM from your ebooks. Just import them into calibre, and the DRM will be removed. The plugins ONLY remove the DRM when the ebooks are imported. If you have already imported your ebooks into calibre, your will need to remove them and import them again.
A better solution seems to create a patched version of the Kindle apk which either logs or displays it's PID. I created a patch to both log the pid list and show it in the Kindle application in the about activity screen. The pid list isn't available until the DRMed book has been opened (and the list seem to differ for different books).
To create the patched kindle apk a certificate must be created
keytool -genkey -v -keystore kindle.keystore -alias kindle -keyalg RSA -keysize 2048 -validity 10000
and the apktool must be downloaded.
These are the steps to pull the original apk from the Android device, uninstall it, create a patched apk and install that (tested on a rooted device, but I think all steps should also work on non-rooted devices):
adb pull /data/app/com.amazon.kindle-1.apk kindle3.apk adb uninstall com.amazon.kindle apktool d kindle3.apk kindle3 cd kindle3 patch -p1 < ..\kindle3.patch cd .. apktool b kindle3 kindle3_patched.apk jarsigner -verbose -keystore kindle.keystore kindle3_patched.apk kindle zipalign -v 4 kindle3_patched.apk kindle3_signed.apk adb install kindle3_signed.apk